PROFESSOR Sir Zanele Muholi wins visual art Mbokodo Award 2017
World renouned photographer and visual artist Muholi wins a prestigious visual art award. Mbokodo Award presented by Carol Bouwer productions.
The 9th Mbokodo Awards took place last night at an high end One and Only Hotel situated at the Waterfront in Cape Town.
This marks Muholi’s second Mbokodo Award. In 2013 Muholi was awarded with creative photographer trophy.
• 2017 Visual Art Mbokodo Award winner
• Awarded with Chevalier de l’Ordre des Arts et des Lettres by the French Embassy (2017)
• Honorary Professor at the University of the Arts/Hochschule für Künste Bremen
• Currently have a solo shows at Durban Art Gallery
• Muholi is a visual activist and photographer born in Umlazi, Durban, and living in Johannesburg. Co-founded the Forum for Empowerment of Women (FEW) in 2002, and in 2009 founded Inkanyiso (www.inkanyiso.org), a forum for queer and visual (activist) media.
• Have exhibited around the world such as Brooklyn Museum in New York, Zeitz Mocaa in Cape Town, Louis Vuitton Fondation in Paris, Venice Bienale in New York, dOCUMENTA 13 in Germany, PERFORMA in New York, Stedelijk Museum in Amsterdam, Autograph ABP in London to name the few.
Supplied Content by Yaya Mavundla Consultants.