Last night president Matamela Cyril Ramaphosa gave his 2nd State Of the Nation Address (SONA) which blew most people off their expectations. People were looking forward to disruptions from political parties such as the EFF and the DA, but none stood a chance to Cyril’s water-tight speech. Secondly the presidents speech might not be the best seen, it was however coherent and flowing which demonstrated that proper structure are put in place.
The president also hit people where they did not expect in a way that his speech had little to do with the ANC’s manifesto speech.
Here are some pointers that made us feel prone to registering to vote for the ANC on the upcoming general elections:
- “… We are resolute that all taverns, all shebeens and liquor outlets that are near school premises must be shut down…” This might be taking bread on someones mouth, but we very much welcome as such outlets play party to destroying the community’s livelihood.
- Schooling system(s) to be enhanced.
- Township tech to be implemented.
- More commissions to be established… goodbye corruption.
- Investment Investments investments!
- Gender based violence is being looked at with cleaner new eyes.
- The NPA will get a directorate dealing with serious offenses.
- Eskom will be split into three separate entities.
- LGBTIQ is taken serious by government.
- And the list goes on and on and on…
The SONA 2019 may not be the best speech, but it is better than what Zuma subjected us to. The speech had substance and it comes from someone that resembles good qualities of integrity and who is willing to be (held) accountable at all times.
Cyril, should we (citizens) trust you with our X on the ballot papers in May please please please don’t let your SONA19 speech gather dust.
Zeeba & Team.