Zeeba: As tradition In just five ??words, describe Maseng?
- Maseng: Loving, patient, punctual, outspoken, jolly
Zeeba: What influences your sound?
- Maseng: Listening to different styles of music influences my sound, as an artist there should not be one specific genre I listen too and this is also a way to develop ideas.
Zeeba: You were discovered at a salon, please share that interesting story?
- Maseng: Well I was doing my hair when my hairdresser asked me, what I did for a living? I told him I’m a musician, so he happened to know Jankie Makopa and Modise Kgomo;?? who were looking for a female vocalist to feature on Jankie???s project. I was a bit hesitant at first because I’ve worked with so many people on music that went nowhere but saw this as an opportunity and featured on a song called Village Girl. Modise was impressed and wanted to sign me ???3 years later I became part of the On Point Records Family.
Zeeba: You are signed to On Point Records and Encore are your record label mates, what have you learnt from the guys so far?
- Maseng: I???ve learned to strive and persevere no matter what, I’ve learned that even when I’m in the spotlight I should remain humble, because I chill with the guys a lot and I sometimes forget that their superstars, only when someone approaches them for a picture it clicks in my head that their well-known. I???m surrounded by cool dudes and I love them a lot.
Zeeba: Having performed on prestigious stages such as the GP Sports Awards and others, do you take a moment to pinch yourself, as all this is happening so fast?
- Maseng: I always take a moment to reflect and allow myself to enjoy moments like this, having performed at the GP Sports Awards , Go West Festival, Ekhurhuleni Jazz Festival. I always step on every stage with the same intention which is to perform my best and to make people remember me and I’m grateful to God for every single opportunity he presents to me.
Zeeba: At what point did you know that you an artist from being discovered to going into studio etc?
- Maseng: From the moment I finished high school in 2009 this was the dream I wanted to chase, I started identifying myself as an artist in 2011. People think that you need to be famous to call yourself an artist and that???s not the case, you???re an artist the moment you start creating, whether it???s in your bedroom and you have just a pen and paper, don’t be afraid to call yourself what you are.
Zeeba: What are your dream collaborations?
- Maseng: I would love to collaborate with Blackcoffee , JR, Cassper Nyovest, Zonke, Mafikizolo, Thandiswa Mazwai, Lira, Beyonce and Wizkid.
Zeeba: Your current look is influenced by what?
- Maseng: Since shaving your head on the side by Rihanna became a thing, I did it too and I’m not afraid to admit that, as for what I like to wear it depends on the mood I???m in, but I often like to be sexy so anything that shows off my sexiness in a tasteful n elegant way is something I would wear.
Zeeba: Top 3 finds in your handbag?
- Maseng: Cellphone, hand sanitizer, vaseline
Zeeba: What is your go to chill out spot and why?
- Maseng: Silverstar casino is my chill out spot because it has eveything, n it???s a cool and calm place to have a great time whether it???s with family or friends, it???s also never too crowded.
Zeeba: Who is your celebrity crush and why?
- Maseng: Hahaha my celebrity crush would be Wizkid , he just has this cool vibe to him that makes me wonder and ma
- Maseng???s singles I Am, Mi Amour and Sinamalungelo are available on all digital stores.
Social media handles:
Facebook: @Maseng Maanwane